A culinary adventure…even more then normal

We had a 2pm ferry ride back to Athens, well back to the metro stop that would take us back to Athens. If we had to do it all over again, I would definitely recommend buying a plane ticket versus taking the ferry. While the ferry is a nice ride and more economical when on vacation, time is precious. The ferry ride was longer then I thought it was going to be and even tho we had a 2pm departure we didn't really have time to do much in Mykonos before we left for the ferry. We wanted to go into Mykonos town to do a little more shopping but George advised against it. I did take time to wander around the hotel and take some more pics and work on my tan one last time while the gals returned the ATVs. 

 I will miss the Paradise View Hotel and George and his staff. We had a wonderful but brief time there. I can't wait to go back!
 The blues of Aegean sea are just gorgeous. 
By the time we got back to our apartment it was late. Lina found a restaurant that we could walk to from our apartment. It was a Greek style tapas bar. As always we were going out late for dinner but this was even later then normal. Due to the time of night and the time of season, not everything on the menu was available but we still had a culinary experience. Once our waiter found out how adventurous we were he started making suggestions. 
Lina ordered a raw zucchini salad. I'm so used to eating zucchini cooked that I was leery but it was actually quite delicious. I really enjoyed it. 

I live in the pacific northwest, why I insist on ordering mussels elsewhere is beyond me. But these mussels weren't bad. They are not as good as what we can find here but they weren't the worst we had. 
This was a smoked mackerel with dill. We didn't expect it to be a dill salad, LOL. I love the taste of mackerel but it's a very fishy fish, if you don't like that, you won't like mackerel. This was a little dry but the taste was enjoyable. 
The fried young calamari was a big hit. While I prefer my squid grilled, these puppies were very light and airy. I just wish they would have a dipping sauce like we're used to in the states. I miss my aioli. 
This was probably my favorite thing of the night. They were tiny little fish fried up with tomatoes and peppers and they were sticky and flavorful and all kinds of things yummy. My mouth is watering just thinking about this. 
This was an experiment. Our waiter said most people either love it or hate it. I was ambivalent about it. It's not something I would ever order again but was happy that I tried it just for the experience. The above is fish roe that's preserved in wax. On the ends of the plate are halves of apricots to give you and idea. It's served with bread slathered in butter (probably Nancy's favorite part of the meal, it was really good bread). You put the piece of roe on top of the butter to eat it. This was a very salty, fishy, waxy dish. Not really a surprise, LOL. I think I would have liked it if it was less waxy tasting. Apparently this is bottarga, the greek version of caviar. 
They didn't call these rocky mountain oysters but that's what these were. They were pan fried bull testicles. I have to say, tastes like chicken fried steak. If you can get past the idea of what you're eating, and obviously I can, it's pretty dang tasty. I think it would have tasted even better with a side of rice.
One of my favorite customs is the free drink or free dessert. This place brought us BOTH! I'm not a fan of this dessert, that was served everywhere, its a super moist grainy cake but this was probably the best one of the ones we were given. We got 2 kinds of liquors. One of them was made only on one island with the sap of a specific tree. Nope, can't remember the drink or the island. I didn't like the drinks but didn't want to be rude so drank them. Luckily these were little bottles. How cute are they?

Our second to last night in Greece, I'm not ready to go home yet!


comments
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...