Is it October?

It certainly feels like it with all of the new and returning shows. Whereas mid-season replacements used to be where shows were thrown to see if they stick, there seems to be a real effort to have quality shows all year long, which I appreciate.

I think a lot of that is due to cable television. There are a lot of great shows on cable and they usually go with a shortened season broken up into two parts and it's working. As soon as a show I love goes on hiatus another comes on and then my other show is back before I've really missed it.

The hard part is figuring out what of the new shows I'm going to watch and to remember when my faves are on. There's no such thing as a regular viewing schedule anymore, if it wasn't for FB I'd forget what was on what day. One of the problems of not having a show I watch for 9 months a year.


Of the new shows I'm interested in are the following:

The Following (haha, see what I did?), starring Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy. I have loved Bacon (the man and the meat) since Quicksilver, a crappy movie but Bacon was cute in it. With Kyra hanging up her detectives badge on the Closer, time for Kevin to earn the paycheck. He's a former FBI agent hunting a serial killer that he put away who escaped. James Purefoy is the serial killer. He played Marc Anthony on Rome, loved him ever since then. He has an army of followers so not only does Bacon have to deal with Purefoy but his serial killer followers. This show is by Kevin Williamson of Dawson Creek, Scream and The Vampire Diaries fame. He knows how to entertain. I'm definitely intrigued. It'll be on Mon at 9pm which won't be a problem for me until the Voice comes back in March. We'll see if Bacon means more to me then Adam Levine by then.

The Americans starring Keri Russell. I don't worship at the alter of Felicity so she's not reason enough to check out the show but I do like the premise, she's an undercover KGB agent living in the US during the Cold War. Not only that, but it's executive produced by Graham Yost who is the EP of Justified, I do worship at his alter. Another show he did that was cancelled too soon was Boomtown. This will be replacing American Horror Story on FX when their season ends at the end of the month so will definitely adding it to my late night viewing schedule, thank goodness cable repeats!

Deception starring Tate Donovan and Victor Garber. I love both of these actors, again, not enough to seek them out but they do enhance shows for me. I heard it's a mix between Sabrina (housekeepers daughter) and Revenge. I watched tonight, the premise is the heroine is a cop who's ex best friend died of an overdose but they think it might be murder. The cops do at least. The plot is very weak. The "best friends" hadn't talked in 17 years so pretty much half of their life. The cop comes to the house to investigate, she has a cover story of an abusive relationship, gets invited to stay at the house while trying to find a place to live and a job and they conveniently offer her a job. I understand having feelings for someone you watched grow up but they are gazillionaires, you don't think someone can easily find out she was a cop? A paparazzi figured it out in a second. I enjoy the acting but so far it's a caricature of Revenge. Hopefully the story gets better or I'll be out!

Some new shows I won't be watching:

The Carrie Diaries, I know it's sacrilege but I wasn't a huge Sex and the City fan so watching a teen Carrie in action, I'm out.

Do No Harm is a Dr Jeykll and Mr Hide story but his alter takes over at exactly the same time every night. My question, if he's 2 guys and they split his body, when does he sleep? I guess I could find out if I watched it but it comes on during Scandal so I'm out.

Some returning shows I'm excited about:

Justified! See my earlier post about this show. I love it! Comes back tomorrow (Tue at 10pm) on FX. Watch and love!

Cougartown is back! It used to be on ABC but they dropped it and TBS picked it up. It's a funny show,  done by the same guy who did Scrubs. I feel bad about the name, it's misleading. When the series first started it was about Courtney Cox dating a younger guy but developed into a show about friends, the cul de sac crew. Right not you can catch a bunch of episodes on demand if you've never seen it. Unfortunately the new show starts at the same time as Justified, but I'll be watching this in repeats or on demand.

What shows are you excited to see return?

comments
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...