Soap characters are like family

This week General Hospital said good-bye to the much loved Edward Quartermaine and the actor who portrayed him John Ingle. I wanted to blog about it after the holiday, this story made even more poignant by the death of the actor who made JR Ewing and "Who shot JR?" a national catchphrase Larry Hagman. 

When my mom moved to the US soaps were what she watched to help her with her English. Since she watched soaps, I watched soaps. I remember waiting until after my shows were done before I'd run out and play with my friends. Or coming home for lunch to watch Bo & Hope on Days while my mom watched a different soap in the living room. My dad also came home for lunch and would make fun of the characters the whole time yet he knew everyone's name. 

When Capital came on, I didn't watch it so I would use that half hour to do dishes, that is until I started watching it and the dishes would have to wait, my mom understood. 

My mom was more of a CBS gal, though she did watch GH during the Luke and Laura era. I was in school during a lot of that so that is more of a vague memory. I really started watching General Hospital when I was stationed in Korea in 1989. Back then, before we lived in the digital age we would get tapes shipped out to us (I worked in a military tv station) of popular American shows, sports feeds were carried live. GH was one of the two soaps that were sent. It was great because I would watch a week's worth at one time. And don't say soaps are only for women, I knew plenty of men who watched them and one of the guys even had a subscription to Soap Opera Digest. 

When I worked a regular job I would record my shows but I was always aware of the other shows and if I liked what was happening there, I would start watching that. For as long as I can remember, I've been watching soap operas in one form or another. There are some soap characters that make me cry, every time they do. 

These shows are on 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. We literally watch these characters grow up and get older and unfortunately, we also watch them pass away. John Ingle passed away a couple of months ago at the age of 84 (his wife of 57 years passed away this past Feb.) and last week, his tv character passed away. John took over the role of Edward Quartermaine in 1993. He's been a part of my life for a long time.

Watching the actors on the show mourn his character has double the impact knowing that they are also mourning the man. I couldn't help it, I bawled like a baby. I think GH wrote him off beautifully and gracefully. They had a body double walk off together with his beloved Lila (Anna Lee who passed away several years ago). 

John shot one final episode that aired shortly before he passed away and this is what his daughter said about it:

As our Dad moves closer and closer to joining our Mom, I thought I would share a bit of much needed “happiness” for the Ingle clan. For those of you that have followed Dad as “Edward Quartermaine” on General Hospital for all these years, I wanted to let you know that Dad was able to return to the set on August 24th, for what will undoubtedly be his last performance on the show. His scene was small and he had very few words…. but his presence on the set was monumental. Beginning with a standing ovation by the entire cast and crew as we entered the set, to the line of people waiting to hug and wish him well, it was a day that he (and we) will remember forever. Several months ago, Dad had said that ” if he only had one more day on the set of General Hospital, he would feel like he had won”…. On that Friday, with the help of one of his caregivers (Anthony), a wheelchair van and 2 of his daughters, (myself and Chrissy), that goal was realized. Entering the set of GH was emotional for Dad and it was obvious why he has loved being there all these years. Chrissy and I joked and said it was the ONLY “Hospital” we have enjoyed visiting since January! Ha! The filming did not take that long and Dad did a good job. The cast and crew were patient and worked with Dad to get a scene that was meaningful. Standing there watching the monitor, we were struck by the reality that it was not Edward Quartermaine who was on the set….it was Dad surrounded by people who love and care about him. It was truly a wonderful afternoon. None of us know what tomorrow holds, but today we will hang onto the memory of August 24th and the love and support that was shown for our Dad. Last but not least,”Thank You” again to all of our family and friends for your love, prayers and support over these past few months. We truly CAN feel it.

I know a lot of people make fun of soaps, the stories and actions are outrageous but I love them and hope that the few we have left on the air stay on the air. I want to continue to grow old with my other families. We don't need anymore talk shows (unless there's one featuring me) we need characters we know and love or that we love to hate who help us escape into a different reality.

Here is John's last appearance on GH. 



comments
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...